Thursday, December 29, 2011

Naro Moru, Kenya: Things learned

I signed up for this trip to Kenya hoping to learn things; things about myself and of course, things about life in a part of the world I’d never been too. Mission accomplished.

I’ve learned, in no particular order, that I’m not built to do physical labor all day in the heat, that the saying “only the strong will survive” is an actual way of life here in Naro Moru, that even if you don’t have a lot of nice “stuff” you should be proud of what you do have, that we’re lucky to have clean running water and that laughter, family and friends are a global recipe for happiness.

I’ve learned a lot. But I think the biggest that I’ve learned here in Kenya is that a tiny group of 7 inexperienced people from Canada CAN make a real difference in the world. 600 of the most kind, inviting, hardest working people I’ve ever met, will now have access to fresh water for their families and their crops; something they wouldn’t have had if we hadn’t come here.

I’m so proud of the work that we’ve done. I feel lucky that I’ve had the opportunity to do this and I can’t wait to share my stories and pictures with others. Who knows, maybe our 2 week adventure here in Naro Moru will inspire someone else to take their own journey and a step towards bringing the global community together.

As a handwritten note on the wall of a dirt floor, 3 room shack here in Naro Moru said “If you think you can, yes you can. And if you think you can’t, surely you are right”.

Holly Conway
DWC Participant
Kenya December 2011

No comments: