Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Looking back on our Developing World Connections experience

Even up until the time I stepped onto the ground in Nairobi, I had no idea what I was getting myself into coming to Kenya to volunteer for a month. To say I was out of my comfort zone does not even begin to describe how far away from home I felt. Seeing street children in Nairobi asking me for money and candy broke my heart on day one. It's amazing to realize how far I've come after spending just one month in Kenya. I spent a lot of time getting to know the locals apart from working together with them every day. It's crazy the differences that are just part of everyday life here. I realize how lucky we are in Canada and how much we have, but at the same time I know I've been helping everyone here in the best way that I can.

“Daudi” Cole Murphy - Kamloops, BC
DWC Participant
Kenya, May 2012


This is my second time volunteering in East Africa with Developing World Connections and my first time taking on the challenge of leading a volunteer group. I strongly support DWC’s approach to sustainable development by providing service rather than aid. Traveling with DWC allows the participants to create strong bonds with community members by working alongside them towards a common goal. I have met so many great friends through DWC and I have a new branch of my extended family in Naro Moru. I was very happy to see such a strong focus on conservation in Naro Moru; this was apparent in our host partners with the Gitwe Water Project, the Mt. Kenya Reforestation Project, and also amongst the greater community of Naro Moru. I am very glad that I was able to share this experience with my fellow DWC volunteers and the community in Naro Moru! Each time that I have traveled with DWC it has provided me with an opportunity to learn and grow; this has truly been a life changing experience!

"Ciko" Sarah Armstrong - Saskatoon, SK
DWC Team Leader
Kenya, May 2012


I had a great time during my experience in Naro Moru with DWC. It was great to see the community involvement in Naro Moru, we had so much help with “kazi ngumu” each day and we certainly couldn’t have done it without their help. It was amazing to see how hard the community members were able to work; it has certainly given me a new appreciation for what “kazi ngumu” really is. I have made many great friends with many members of the community in Naro Moru and I think that DWC is very appropriately named as I have made many connections out here! It was great to work with the community members, the Gitwe committee, the Reforestation committee, and our team of Canadian volunteers who all shared a common vision of sustainable development in the projects that we helped out with. I have learned so much from my experience in Naro Moru and it has been interesting to see the culture and work ethic of the Kenyan people. It is great to see what can be done when people come together. I had an amazing time, asante sana Naro Moru!

"Mkubwa" Bryan Andres - Saskatoon, SK 
DWC Participant
Kenya, May 2012


My whole life I've wanted to come to East Africa and I am so glad to have been able to stay in Kenya for an entire four weeks. Working together with the people of Naro Moru has given me so many new friends and a feeling of belonging in this community so very different from my own. The smiles on everyone's faces here are beautiful to see and I know that even with the simpler way of life they live they are blessed with happiness. I have learned so much over the course of this project and am grateful for all the new experiences. Everyone from Mt. Kenya Hostel family, Gitwe Water Committee, Mount Kenya Reforestation Project, Developing World Connections, and everyone in the community here have made me feel welcome and I know they will all stay in my heart forever. Nakupenda Naro Moru and Kenya!

 "Makena" Danielle Anderson - Melfort, SK
DWC Participant
Kenya, May 2012


So I'm sitting here in Fort McMurray after my first day of work back on the oil riggs reflecting on my time in Africa.... All I can do while I sit in my small but nice camp room is compare these two completely different places. Everything in Africa seemed so simple with earlier morning greetings and cheerful conversation with the locals that were far more important than any deadline or appointment. Being in Africa was like being on the moon but in a very very good way, everything was so different and life seems to move in a more positive sensible direction with people caring about their community and neighbours. I notice that life was measured in kindness and happiness instead of money and possession which, I really appreciated and embraced. On our weekends we traveled to Mt. Kenya, Hells Gate National park and Masai Mara National park, I felt as if I had only scratched the surface of this beautiful country even though we put on some serious miles. I really can't say enough about the local people, volunteer team, Developing World Connections management and our host partners who cared for us like part of their extended family. This experience was so great, I plan to be part of another DWC volunteer experience and one day return to Kenya to visit some new friends in their beautiful country.


Darren Fransen - Kamloops, BC
DWC Participant
Kenya, May 2012


The time I've spent in Kenya has been incredible. I've been given the opportunity to travel to a developing country, meet locals from a small community and work with them to complete a project that directly impacted 400 people! I have developed relationships with people from an entirely different world, realising every day that no matter where you are from, laughter and good spirits are key ingredients to a healthy community. I have seen first hand the effects of hard work and determination in a community that some would consider underprivileged, but I would argue that the people of Naro Moru, Kenya have it figured out. They may not have fancy cars or big houses but they have respect for their family, respect for hard work and more kindness and love than any country I have ever been to. It has been a privilege to travel with Developing World Connections and work with the Gitwe water project and Mt. Kenya Reforestation project. I take pride in the work I have done and will cherish this experience forever.


Megan Dorwart - Saskatoon, SK
DWC Participant
Kenya, May 2012


Kenya was my third Developing World Connections experience and it was also my first time leading a group. As always it was an amazing experience. I really appreciated how environmentally conscious and forward thinking the community of Naro Moru was regarding preservation and conservation of their forest and water resources. It is always great to work closely with the community in a project that truly benefits them. Working with DWC really does allow you to build global connections and contribute to the global community, I now have a few more Mama's and many new brothers and sisters! When the water line project was completed we were invited to some homes of people who received water from the new line, what a joyous occasion to see our work in action. I really believe in the work that DWC and its host partners accomplish and I cant wait for my next trip!


Kazia Armstrong - Victoria, BC
DWC Assistant Team Leader
Kenya, May 2012

 

No comments: