Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September 11: Blood, Sweat, and Laughter

Over the past several days I have learned more about myself, my limits and where my strengths lie, then ever before. I have learned in short order that I am NOT the most gifted craftsman, that I CANNOT swing a hammer with the best of them and that am I simply NOT the strongest person in the league. The amazing thing here is that these admitted weaknesses, simply don’t matter while here in Maai Mahui. The one thing that does matter…is community.

Over the past 10 days, I have had the absolute privilege to be introduced to some of the most unique and innovative people I have ever met in my life. I have met Jeremiah, the executive Director at CTC, who in my opinion is one of the most charismatic people I have encountered. His eyes light up when he speaks of his city, his people and his goals in shaping the community of Maai Mahui.

I have met Charles, the Assistant Director at CTC, and have been simply overwhelmed by his ability to extend his reach to the 41,000 people that reside in Maai Mahui.

I have also been blown away by the workers at the construction site. I find it inspiring the way these gentlemen carry themselves. They work incredibly hard, but understand the need to stop, reflect and LAUGH. There isn’t an hour on the site that goes by without us sharing a laugh while learning about all of the amazingly innovative and impressive ways in which they approach building a home. These men know what hard work is. They bleed, they sweat and they laugh.

The one common thing that links these efforts together is community. Everyone involved understands what they are working towards. It is not about who the smartest or strongest is on the site. It is truly about teamwork. They are a collective working towards a better tomorrow. They pick their brother and sister up when he or she falls, they are not afraid to stop what they are doing if only for a second, to teach there brother and sister something new. They listen, the act and once again, they laugh. These men and women have perspective and a genuine love for their country.

As I reflect about our mission to build a Knowledge Resource Center in Maai Mahui, I think about how proud I am to be part of this Softchoice Cares board. My 14 friends have all grown over the past week and a half. I have been witness to personal breakthroughs, new friendships being created and a true sense of collaboration within our team. This is a special group, one that I am proud to be a part of and one that my wife and daughter will be hearing about this Sunday.

Craig Bator
DWC Softchoice Cares Participant
Kenya, September 2013

No comments: